AIRSOFT RESERVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE AIRSOFT COMMUNITY GATEWAY. Valor, Honor, Courage, Defend & Avenge.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Were back!
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm by Randy

» Anyone know how to unlock a gear box?
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 pm by NOBODY

» The return.....
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 pm by Bones

» WHAT'S UP YO
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 pm by Bones

» Anyone Playing This Saturday Dec. 27th?
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 8:48 am by BELIAL

» SandDragon
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 am by BELIAL

» Old schooling in the Forum
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 5:14 am by onotix

» Air soft alert!
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 8:11 pm by SandDragon

» I AM BACK!!!!!!!!
How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 8:09 pm by SandDragon

Similar topics
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
SandDragon
How to communicate over the radio Vote_lcapHow to communicate over the radio Voting_barHow to communicate over the radio Vote_rcap 
DEVIN
How to communicate over the radio Vote_lcapHow to communicate over the radio Voting_barHow to communicate over the radio Vote_rcap 
Jester
Pandemonium
NOBODY
EAGLE
Rogue Echo 1
TANK
Streets
SEABEE
Social bookmarking
Bookmark and share the address of Airsoft-Reserve on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of AIRSOFT RESERVE on your social bookmarking website

How to communicate over the radio

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ebola
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ebola

How to communicate over the radio Empty
PostSubject: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm

I thought this was great I got it off the Airsoft Ohio website. Posted by "Scorpion"

Those of you who have used or use radios know how it can be fustrating understanding the person on the other end. Hopefully you guys find this useful.

Radio Communication Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After giving a presentation on basic radio communication skills at a recent Stormblade MILSIM Open, I've received a few PMs requesting a guide like this one. So please, for all those current and former military, chime in with anything I missed

Updated 6.26.2009

BASIC RADIO TRANSMISSION UNDERSTANDING
* Messages should be short and to the point.
* Messages should be spoken clearly and quickly, but not rushed to avoid confusion on the other end.
* Conversations, or first transmissions, should always begin with an ID of the person/unit you are speaking to and an ID of yourself(the sender).
* Messages should always conclude with a confirmation, or "end transmission."

To illustrate these above guidelines I will give you a short conversation over radio as it would normally happen under a MILSIM event or in most real world situations. NOTE- For Veterans I am going to make these long winded so all newbies can get the gist, I am well aware of the various shortcuts that can be taken to save time. Remember this is a beginner’s course.

"Command this is Alpha, how copy"
"This is Command, go ahead Alpha"
"Command, I observe 2 vehicles, 200yrds NE of my position, moving south, appear to be troop transport, please advise, over"
"Alpha, we copy 2 troop carriers, 200yrds NE of you, moving south. Can you ID the vehicles as friendly, over"
"Command, negative, the vehicles are hostile, over"
"Copy alpha, stand by for further orders, over"
"Solid copy command, Alpha, out"

OPENING A RADIO CONVERSATION/TRANMISSION

"Command this is Alpha, how copy?"
- Alpha, the transmission sender is ID'ing who he is talking to(Command).
- Alpha then ID's himself as the message sender so the receiver(Command) knows who to respond to.
- Alpha then asks if Command can hear him clearly with "how copy".
NOTE- You can use many different confirmations such as "How copy", "Do you read", "Are you receiving". But remember, the shortest and most clear way is the best.

"This is Command, go ahead Alpha"
- Command, the transmission receiver is confirming that they did indeed hear Alpha's request to transmit, and they have ID'ed themselves as Command so Alpha knows who to respond to.
Note - You can use many different confirmations such as "This is Command, send it", "Alpha go ahead", "Alpha send traffic", "Roger alpha, send it". But remember, the shorted and most clear way is the best.

RELAYING MESSAGE / SENDING INFORMATION

NOTE- When relaying messages or anytime during a transmission other than OPENING OR CLOSING, conclude your transmission with "over". This tells the person you are speaking you that you are finished speaking, and that they may now respond to you. This also takes away any guessing from the receiving person if you have lost radio contact or your messages were cut short.

NOTE- "NEVER SAY "REPEAT!" If you do not hear a part of a message or it's broken or partial tell the sender, "say again" or "say again last", or "your last was broken, send again", or "did not copy last, re-send. Repeat is NOT the same as "Say again". DO NOT CONFUSE THIS.

"Command, I observe 2 vehicles, 200yrds NE of my position, moving south, appear to be troop transport, please advise, over"
- Alpha is telling command what he sees in as much detail as he can while not giving too much information. He explains what he sees, how many, where they are, and what they are doing. Then he asks what Command wants to do with the information he has given them.

"Alpha, we copy 2 troop carriers, 200yrds NE of you, moving south. Can you ID the vehicles as friendly, over"
- Command informs Alpha they heard what Alpha sent and say it back to him. Then they tell Alpha they need to know more, they ask if the vehicles are hostile.

"Command, negative, the vehicles are hostile, over"
- Alpha confirms the vehicles are hostile, and then waits for Command to report back.

"Copy alpha, stand by for further orders"
- Command confirms what Alpha is telling him and informs Alpha to stand by, or wait, for further orders to be issued to him.

CLOSING TRANSMISSION
NOTE- When closing a transmission, always use the word "out" to conclude your last message. YOU MUST END ALL final transmissions with this or else the person you are speaking with will assume you have more to say.

"Solid copy command, Alpha out"
- Alpha confirms Command's last transmission with "solid copy" and then signs off the radio traffic with "alpha out". When you say "out" at the end of your transmission this signals the other person that you are finished communicating with them. ONLY the unit/person who BEGINS the initial transmission says "out" to close the transmision. The receiving unit/person NEVER says "out" or attempts to conclude the transmission.

NOTES

YOU MUST REMAIN CALM when speaking on the radio or you will cause more harm than good by confusing the person you are speaking with, or by sending partial transmissions. Properly phrased, correctly stated, and quickly conveyed radio traffic WILL make or break any operation. Good, clear communication is the single most essential part of any operation. No amount of weaponry, tactics, or know-how can offset a lack of good communication during combat.

BONUS
Here is a faster way of stating the same information as above, but with a more advanced understanding of radio communication.

"Command, Alpha"
"Send it Alpha"
"Command, we observe 2 vehicles, 200yrds NE of my position, moving south, appear to be troop transport, over"
"Alpha, we copy, are the vehicles friendly, over"
"Negative command"
"Copy, stand by for further orders"
"Alpha, out"

As you can see this is a very abbreviated version of the transmission above. It can be sent this way between small groups of units, or at most airsoft events where the radio operators already know everyone they are talking to and will be able to ID themselves quickly. DO NOT ATTEMPT this type if transmission if you are not familiar with proper radio commands and keywords. You will only get confused, and confuse those you are speaking to.

Knowing your alphabet and numbers can also help in spelling words out and or ID'ing units on the radio traffic. Here is it for review...

A Alpha (AL-FA)
B Bravo
C Charlie
D Delta
E Echo (EK-O)
F Foxtrot (FOX-TROT)
G Gulf
H Hotel
I India (IN-D-AA)
J Juliet (JUL-E-ET)
K Kilo (KI-LO)
L Lima (LI-MA)
M Mike
N November
O Oscar
P Papa
Q Quebec (KEH-BEK)
R Romeo (ROM-E-O)
S Sierra
T Tango
U Uniform
V Victor
W Whiskey
X Xray
Y Yankee
Z Zulu

1 (WUN)
2 (TOO)
3 (TREE)
4 (FOW-ER)
5 (FIFE)
6 (SICKS)
7 (SEV-EN)
8 (AIT)
9 (NIN-ER)
0 (ZE-RO)

Following letters and numbers there are also various shortcut commands you can issue when in transmission with another person/unit. Here are a few that apply to Airsoft and general use....(Credit- BishopMP)

BREAK= Indicates the seperation of the text from other portions of the message.
SAY AGAIN LAST= Receiver requests sender to repeat last segment of (or whole) transmission.
CORRECTION= Sender corrects info in message.
DISREGARD= Transmission is in error. disregard it.
I READ BACK= Sender is requesting receiver to read back the following in transmission.
I SAY AGAIN= Sender is repeating transmission or portion indicated.
I SPELL= I will spell the next word phonetically.
ROGER= I have received your last transmission satisfactorily.
WAIT= I must pause for a few seconds.
WAIT OUT= I must pause for longer than a few seconds.
WAIT "#"= I must pause for "#" of minutes. (example, "wait 1", implies receiver to wait 1 minute)
WILCO= I have received your signal, understand it, and will comply. (to be used only by the addressee, since the meaning of ROGER is included in that of WILCO, the two prowords and NEVER used together.)

Various commands - Advanced Knowledge (Credit - Miyagi, torque, Snipe)

*To call for total radio silence until Priority messages/traffic is sent to those who need it most, use any of the following commands. Note - Only a command or top tier element/RTO should be calling for these codes as this is understood to STOP all radio traffic, not just the traffic on your direct channel.*

"FLASH FLASH FLASH "
"SILENCE ON THE NET"
"RADIO DARK"

*To ascertain how someone is hearing you here is a layout of terms and meaning*

Signal Strength -------------- Signal Clarity
Loud..................................Clear
Good..................................Readable
Weak.................................Unreadable
Very Weak..........................Distorted
Fading With Interference......Intermittent

*With any transmission you should follow the basic SALUTE report guidelines*

Situation - The current status of yourself/unit and the persons/objects you are observing.
Activity - The actions the persons/objects you are observing are undertaking.
Location - The specific location you and the object/persons you observe are located.
Time - The current time.
Equipment - The equipment being used by the people/objects you are observing.

There are many finer points to sending and receiving radio traffic in game, and I'll reserve this space to add them at a later date. Any and all veterans, if you have more to add to a beginner’s course, PM me. Also Mods, please sticky this one so it's not lost.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Luciferscritic
Guerra
Corporal
Corporal
Guerra

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:40 am

Very impressive, I've only skimmed through reading certain sections but this is very well put together. When I get the chance I'll look through it thorough.

Thanks for the radio lesson Clap 2 thumbs up
Back to top Go down
TANK
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
TANK

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:55 am

great post going to be very useful out on the field cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
Ebola
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ebola

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
TANK
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
TANK

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Ebola wrote:
Thanks.

now if people could just get radios now lol we wouldn't have to yell across the field lol
Back to top Go down
Ebola
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ebola

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Go to target or walmart they are cheap.
Back to top Go down
Pandemonium
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Pandemonium

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 2:25 am

i think its better to make up ur own way of talking over the radio.
as far as radios, the best ones are two cups and a string! no batteries!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NLNAirsoft?feature=mhee
Ebola
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ebola

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
romeo0707
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
romeo0707

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 5:59 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
TANK
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
TANK

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:33 pm

romeo0707 wrote:
bump

why are we bumping this post lol?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to communicate over the radio   How to communicate over the radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to communicate over the radio
Page 1 of 1